1989 Buick Riviera Factory Keyless Entry Remote Programming Procedure
1. Switch the ignition towards the ON position (don't crank the engine.)
2. Locate the VAC Programming Connector next to the factory keyless entry receiver within the trunk. This is a green plastic connector with one black/white wire leading up to it. The connector is not plugged into anything. You may have to pull back the trim to access it.
3. The programming connector has one terminal. Ground this terminal to the trunk hatch or antenna. The door locks will automatically cycle (lock and unlock) to indicate that programming mode has started. Ensure the programming connector stays grounded all through the programming.
4. Press UNLOCK on the keyfob once. The door locks will cycle one time to point that ther fob has been programmed and all previously stored remotes are removed from memory.
a. If only one fob is to work on the car then press UNLOCK again on the same keyfob. The door locks will lock and unlock to confirm. Skip to step 5.
b. If a second transmitter is to be learned by system, press the UNLOCK button for the second keyfob once. The door locks will lock and unlock to confirm.
5. Remove jumper wire you employed to ground the RKE programming plug.